Friday, July 30, 2021

Promise

I’m sorry
I did not protect you.

I believed her when she said
You weren’t enough.
I believed him when he said
You were too much.
I believed them when they said
You needed to conform.

But I will fight for you now.

I will disarm the bulldozers
Who deny your lived reality.
I will slap away the hands
That try to toss you aside.
I will slay the demons
Who whisper in your ear
That you are invisible.

If you trip on the cracked asphalt,
I will help you back to your feet.
If they drive away and leave you behind,
I will turn around and come back for you.
If you get lost exploring off-road trails,
I will not rest until I find you
And wrap you in a warm blanket.  

I will not shove you in the vault
When I’m afraid of what they will think.
I will not stay silent
While they describe you as inherently broken.
I will not disrespect you
By saying your presence is a burden
That no one should have to bear. 

Your
Existence
Is
Beautiful. 

When I look in
The Mirror,
I see the
Tattered mask
You had to wear
As Armor
While I was absent.

You are not alone anymore.
I am here with you now.
I love you.

No comments: