Thursday, March 25, 2010

Here's a poem

I've really enjoyed my poetry class this semester. I've learned a lot, met new people, and expanded my writing versatility a bit. I think of myself as an ok writer, but the poem I wrote for class today turned out pretty well, and it didn't even take long to come up with. Usually I have to ponder and revise a lot, but this one came out quite easily. It's, in part, a response to Alice Walker's poem "Loving Humans."

"The Adult Conspiracy"

All people are
Children
Even the ones
Who call
Themselves
Grownups.

They say
They are
Too old
To fool around
Or waste time
But they
Want to.

They pretend
To be what
They call
Mature
But they
Don't want to.

They have
Their manners
Their debates
Their campaigns
Their wars
But they
Just want to
Play.

Parents say
They act
Silly
For their
Kids' sakes
But it's
Also for
Their own.

No comments: