Monday, July 18, 2011

Declaration of Independence from Insecurity

(An exercise from Keeping a Journal You Love by Sheila Bender)

You have prevented me from being myself.
You have prevented me from having fun.
You have made me anxious.
You have made me bland.
You have made me silent.

You have restrained my sense of humor.
You have restrained my sense of dignity.
You have caused me to pretend.
You have caused me to hide.
You have caused me pain.

You have hindered my ability to laugh.
You have hindered my ability to cry.
You have held me in the dark.
You have held me under water.
You have held me back.

I will not allow this anymore.

I will be me.
I will live truth.
I will refute anger.
I will bask in solitude.
I will embrace uncertainty.
I will hold onto my principles.
I will prize my "guilty" pleasures.
I will grow to be a person I admire.
I will show the world who I am.
I will agitate my comfort zone.
I will admit my weaknesses.
I will honor my intuition.
I will fly my freak flag.
I will trust my Self.
I will forgive.

4 comments:

gretch said...

WOMAN (by Nikki Giovanni)

she wanted to be a blade of grass amid the fields but he wouldn't agree to be the dandelion

she wanted to be a robin singing through the leaves but he refused to be her tree

she spun herself into a web and looking for a place to rest turned to him but he stood straight declining to be her corner

she tried to be a book but he wouldn't read

she turned herself into a bulb but he wouldn't let her grow

she decided to become a woman and though he still refused to be a man she decided it was all right © Nikki Giovanni

Casey said...

I quite like that poem, Gretchen!

Mel said...

Did you make the last stanza vertically symmetrical on purpose? : )

Casey said...

Yep.