Friday, August 12, 2011

Dear Grandmother

As a birthday gift to my grandmother (on my dad's side) this year, I decided to get her a journal, blank except for a letter from me at the front. This is that letter:


Dear Grandmother,

This journal is for you to write down whatever you want: stories from your life, stories you've been told, little bits of wisdom you've learned, small things you notice, advice about anything, etc. Feel free to write as much, or as little, as you want (if you run out of space in this book, I will buy you another one). When you feel like you've said all there is to say, you can give it back to me as a keepsake, and I will be sure to share it with all of my cousins who are interested. So really, this gift to you is more like a gift for me and all of your grandchildren.

Tina was the one who gave me this idea. She has a book of poems by her grandmother that she loves dearly, a memento of thoughts from someone she loved and admired. I've always held the belief that we have a lot to learn from our elders. Picking the brains of our parents and grandparents allows us to gain insight from those who have lived much longer, and experienced much more, than we have. This journal allows me to pick your brain with your complete control. You decide what to say and how to say it. This is your project to do with what you will.

Love,
Casey :)

P.S. ~ I'm sure Papa Jerry has his own insights about things, too, so if you want to let him add something to the journal, I would love that. This book is yours, though, so if you would rather keep it for yourself, please do so. I can get a separate book for him if he wants to join the project.

No comments: