Friday, August 12, 2011

End of summer cleaning

Today has been a really nice day off. I got a lot of things done I needed to do--buy a gift for Grandmother, buy groceries, check out Vintage Stock, pay my speeding ticket online...   So I've been really productive, which feels nice.

This evening, though, is has been super awesome. I decided that I'm going to go through all my stuff again and get rid of stuff I don't need or want, and repack the rest so I know where everything is. Some stuff that's packed away right now is stuff I want handy, and some that I have handy, I never use. Also, I know I of some old toys and random objects that must be somewhere, but I have no clue where that where might be.

As I've been doing this tonight, I've also been watching ABC's miniseries The 10th Kingdom. I remember loving it the first time it aired in 2000, and they did an encore showing a few weeks later, so I recorded it on VHS--3 tapes in all. Going through my old stuff while watching this definitely brings back lots of memories, AND it's raining! So it's been a pleasant trip down memory lane with a soothing pattering on the window pane. Ha! ...And I'm even drinking Ginger Ale.

I love sorting through things. It's always been cathartic for me. It allows me to do an inventory check on all my belongings, while rearranging them to fit my life at the time, and it also feels nice to throw out stuff I haven't used in forever, or haven't used ever, like the user manual for my old phone. I usually tend toward right-brained traits, but I love putting things in order for some reason. (I guess that's why I like working at the library!) It's kind of like putting together a puzzle--I have to figure out the best way to pack items together, and I also have to decide which items I need and which I want and which I can do without. It's a great exercise and learning experience! Hopefully I'll learn that I'm not a hoarder.

No comments: