Monday, August 1, 2011

It's been a pretty busy weekend.

On Thursday, aunt Nancy came to Edmond on her way down to Abilene. She, my dad, and I went to Old Chicago for dinner (yummy), then went back to my dad's and watched Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1 'cause Nancy had it with her and Dad still hadn't seen it. It was a nice, though short, visit.

Then that night, I went to see Cowboys & Aliens at midnight with Aleithia and Christiana. It was fun! The movie was pretty good. I loved the first half, but the last quarter was less impressive. The plot seemed to wrap itself up a little too easily toward the end, but I still liked it. The story is definitely a great western, with western themes, and the sci-fi element added in is a neat touch. Usually, when those two genres are combined, it's the other way around--sci-fi setting and themes with a western motif added (like in Firefly, Cowboy Bebop, or various episodes of Star Trek and Doctor Who).

The acting in Cowboys & Aliens was superb, and how could it not be with a cast including Daniel Craig, Harrison Ford, Olivia Wilde, Sam Rockwell, and Paul Dano? I'm also starting to really like John Favreau as a director. He's racking up quite the list: Elf, Zathura, Iron Man, and now this. I'm glad they kept the campy title for the film, even though the film itself isn't campy at all. It is, after all, based on a comic of the same name. Plus, how much more straightforward can you get? I remember talking with Nancy earlier about how interesting it would be to have Indians & Aliens instead of Cowboys, noting how differently Indians would have reacted to an alien invasion. But, funnily enough, Cowboys & Aliens actually does include Indians (Apaches, specifically) and the film itself notes the difference in reactions. I was really impressed by that! I definitely recommend this film, but I do want to see it again to see if it holds up on a second viewing.

(I slept all afternoon/evening after work on Friday to make up for lost sleep Thursday night.)

Saturday, after work, I went to the Bowling for Rhinos event with other OZS employees at Boulevard Lanes. That was really fun! I hadn't been bowling in a long time, but I actually did fairly well. We were able to  squeeze in 3 games, and on my last game I got a 126, which is really good for me! I got around 6 or 7 strikes during the evening and a few spares. It was definitely good practice. My arm was a little sore the next day, too. :P

Sunday was a pretty lazy day, but Dad and I watched 3 episodes of Rescue Me, which I'm borrowing from Colin. I'm really liking this show! It does have more sex in it than I'm usually comfortable with, but the show as a whole is worth it, and those scenes are almost always important to the plot or character development in some way.

No comments: